My favourite dessert since childhood, caramel pudding, is now my little son’s favourite too. My mum used to make this with condensed milk which, undoubtedly had a very smooth, rich and creamier texture, but In the process of trying to produce the same, more healthily, I came across this recipe from an old recipe collection. You can either steam this or bake in the oven. However, steamed pudding has such a delicate texture, which I am addicted to.
Creme’ caramel pudding made with condenced milk baked in the oven recipe :
Get ready with the following items:
|Whole milk||2 cups|
|White sugar||3/4 cups|
|Vanilla essence and lemon zest||1 tsp each|
|For the caramel|
|White sugar||5 tbsp|
Let’s make it
Heat it :
- Pour milk into a pan and heat up until it reaches the boiling point. (Do not boil)
- Mix vanilla, switch off the flame and let the milk cool down.
Blend it / Whip it:
- Drop sugar and eggs to the blender
- Whizz just 5 seconds. (do not over do it as the sponginess of the pudding will be affected)
- Now, slowly pour into the milk.
- Whip with a hand whisker until frothy.
Caramel it :
- Drop sugar and water into a small pan.
- Bring to boil.
- Let the syrup turn light brown. (Do not let it turn too dark as the syrup will taste bitter)
- Add 1 tbsp of hot water and let the syrup bubble away for a minute and switch off the flame.
- The caramel is ready now.
Steam it :
- Pour the caramel into the pudding bowl and circle around so that the caramel stick onto the sides of the bowl
- Rub butter all around the bowl
- Pour the milky liquid in
- Cover the top tightly with a foil
- Place a close fitting plate on
- Fill a large pan half with water
- Dip the pudding bowl slowly into the middle of the pan
- Cover the large pan with a foil first and then close with the lid.
- Place the pan on stove under high flame and steam for 1 hr. Check the water level half way and pour boiling water if needed.
Cool it :
- Take the pudding bowl out and let it cool off completely.
- Place the bowl in the fridge.
- Once chilled loosen from around
- Then place a flat, wide plate on top of the pudding bowl and gently turn the bowl upside down
- Give a gentle knock on the bottom of the bowl.
- Slowly, lift the bowl up
- Voila !!! your pudding is out, sitting primly with a pool of caramel juices
- Cut nice triangles and serve with juices
- Yummy !!!
Tip: To make cute individual puddings for kids, use several ramekin bowls .