This is one of my favourite summertime desserts! The cool, silky smooth texture of custard wrapped with sweet summer fruits can be on the top of the winning list if served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!
The real bliss of summer is that varieties of fruits and berries are in abundance, making this delicious fruity dessert is a real joy! As a matter of fact, the oranges and clementines taste more delicious in the summer months so, adding a lot of them will give this dish a noticeable zing!
As for the custard, no other flavour will beat the banana flavour as it goes deliciously well with this dessert. Scatter some coloured sprinkles and some jelly cubes to give an exotic look!
I believe that this is the best way to sneak a lot of fruits into kids’ diet without much cajoling. If you are serving for kids under 5 years, make sure to cut the fruits into small pieces to avoid any chocking hazards.
Let’s make it:
Make the custard first
- Follow the instructions in the back of the packet and make the custard and leave it to cool
- Cover with a cling film and place in the fridge
Slice the fruits
- 1/2 hr before serving, sllice fruits and collect them in a bowl
Go for bananas, oranges, apples, mangoes, kiwis, red / green grapes, cherries, blue berries, papaya, pinapple
- Add the fruits to the custard cream and give a good mix
- Cover with a cling film and place back in the fridge until chilled
- Fill the cups with the fruity custard
- Scoop vanilla ice cream and place on the top or toss some jelly cubes and sultanas just before serving. You can add a few cashew nuts for an exotic taste
- Serve within an hour because the fruits can go stale and change colour
- Enjoy the delicious melody of fruits laced with scented banana flavour custard
- Remember to mix the required amount of custard powder in a small amount of milk first and then gradually add to the boiling milk while stirring as per the instructions in the packet.
- Keep stirring the boiling milk with custard until it thickens slightly. Do not stop stirring or else it will burn from the bottom. Also, you have to stir it even after taking out of the flame to avoid forming any lumps.
- I add 2 tbsp of sugar to 2 tbsp of custard powder for a sweeter taste.