This juicy karella curry, inspired by Panjabi cuisine is a delicious blend of bitterness of Karellas and the natural sweetness of onions and tomatoes. You will be surprised to learn that, to produce such a delicacy you will need only 3 main ingredients:
And only 3 main spices :
- Chilli powder
Bitter Gourd, also known as karella or karawila is a sure diabetes buster according to ayurvedic medicine. This vegetable can be turned into a variety of dishes, depending on the type of cuisine you would like to follow. However, If you get the ingredients and their proportions right this is simply the best karella dish you can prouduce.
I am grateful to Munaza, my Pakistani friend and her mom, for her dedicated culinary guidance in making this dish.
You will need the following ingredients:
|Bitter Gourd/Karella/Karavila||3 medium|
|Onions(Indian Onion)||3 large or 4 medium|
|Chili powder||1 tbsp|
|Juicy Tomatoes||3 large or 4 medium|
|Olive oil or any cooking oil||3 tbsp|
Let’s make it:
- Wash and cut Karella into thin rounds
- Heat oil and drop the Karella rounds. Stir fry under low flame until soft
- Drop all the chopped onions diced tomatoes
- Add chilli powder, salt and turmeric
- Continue frying until all look juicy and sufficiently cooked
- Cover and let cook under very low flame
- Occasionally, give a good stir and cover again.
- Drop a couple of bullet chillies, slit in the middle. Lower the flame. Let cook
- Taste and add more salt if required
- Switch the flame off, cover and the juices run and settle.