These super spongy chocolate cupcakes topped with creamy butter icing is a pure delight!
Easy to make double the joy!
Get the butter icing creamy and delicious by using any good quality spread made especially for baking or just margerine. Butter is not my choice as it could get hard and lumpy unlike the smooth marge.
The fudge icing recipe also given here for those who like a real chocolaty taste.
Happy baking friends!
Get ready with the following ingredients :
|Self raising flour||300 g|
|Stork spread/Butter/ Magerine||300 g|
|Caster sugar||300 g|
|Lemon juice||1 tsp|
|Salt||3 pinches ( a must)|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Cocoa powder||4 tbsp heaps|
|Plain full fat yogurt (optional) this is to make the cake more moist||1 tbsp|
Let’s make it:
Set the oven to 180 C . (Temperature conversion chart is given under Tips)
- Beat butter and sugar together until creamy, using an electric hand mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice, salt and beat for two rounds.
- Mix baking powder, flour and cocoa powder and sieve onto the cake batter, holding the sieve well above it, allowing the air to escape.
- Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything turns into a creamy batter.
- Mix milk and yogurt and add. Give a good mix with a wooden spoon going clockwise.
- Fill paper cupcake cases with the batter leaving a little room from top allowing the cake to rise.
- Place the cupcake cases in a cupcake baking tray for them to stay steady and neat.
- Pop it in the oven and bake for 20 – 25 mins. In the first 10 min do not open the oven door.
- Insert a skewer into the middle of one of the cakes and if it comes clean, it’s ready.
- Take it out from the oven and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Slowly remove the cupcakes from the tray and place them on a cooling rack to cool off completely. This will take 1 hr at least.
- Your cakes are ready to ice now.
To make the chocolate butter icing you will need ;
|Icing sugar||300 g|
|Stork spread or butter||125 g|
|Cocoa powder||5 tbsp|
|Lemon||a few drops|
|Vanilla||a few drops|
|Sprinklers to decorate|
- Sieve icing sugar and cocoa powder together from a sieve on to a bowl.
- Add butter and beat together until creamy.
- Add milk, vanilla and lemon.
- Your chocolate icing is ready.
- Cover the cupcakes with chocolate icing one by one with a flat knife, often dipping it in warm water. Or, you can use a piping bag e in cake icing kits to have a more elegant look.
- Throw some sprinklers on .
- Done !!
To make the Chocolate fudge icing you will need:
|Icing sugar||1/2 cup|
|Double cream||1/4 cup|
|Butter/Stork spread||50 g|
|Milk chocolate buttons||110 g|
|Cocoa powder||3 tbsp|
- In a small glass bowl place chocolate drops, butter and double cream.
- Place a wider pan on stove and fill it with hot water.
- Dip the small glass bowl into the wide pan.
- Stir slowly until chocolates melt along with butter and cream.
- If the chocolates are hard, heat up the pan with water under very light flame.
- Add sieved icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Take out from the pan and stir until you are left with a creamy chocolaty melt.
- Leave to cool.
- Pour chocolate fudge cream on to the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle some decorative sprinkles.
- Enjoy !