Make this delicious Jam at home and I am sure you will never buy any supermarket brands. This is the basic Jam making method regardless of the fruits you use. The choice is endless as you can use raspberries, blackberries cherries or any other fruit in place of strawberries. As the glorious summer brings strawberries in abundance, this is the best way to make use of them. And, your kids will simply love this!!!
What you need:
- Jam sugar – 500 g
- Ripped, juicy Strawberries – 450 g
- Juice of 1/4 a lemon
- A pinch of salt
Let’s make it:
- Wash two jars using dish wash and hot water, wipe clean and hold over the stove flame to dry completely. Now your jars are ready.
- Place two spoons in the freezer to test the jam later on.
- Halve the strawberries and drop them in to a wide pan with jam sugar.
- Heat under a very low fire until sugar dissolves completely. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze 1/4 of a lemon to the pan and drop a pinch of salt. Give a gentle stir.
- Now, boil under a high flame for exactly 08 mins and not a min more.
- Remove the scum which foams on the top with the help of a spoon.
- After 10 mins take the spoon out from the freezer and drop a little jam on it. If the jam sticks onto it an not drip down from sides and feels like jelly, then it is properly set.
(Do not worry if the jam looks like a watery jelly. Once cooled completely and then in the fridge it settles into the right consistency!!)
- Leave the pan to cool for 15 mins. If you prefer a no-bits sort of a jam, gently press down the strawberries, so they get crushed.
- Fill the jars to the brim, close tight and let them cool completely.
- Store in the fridge.
- Your delicious Strawberry Jam is ready !!
- Now, announce the good news to kids!!