This exotic dish, inspired by the Chinese culinary sense, is passed on to my husband by a chef friend who runs his own restaurant. All thanks to his genuine recipe, we have been enjoying this dish every since. The soft, flaky trout fish and spring onions sizzled on smoky hot oil produce such a delicate oriental taste to relish and remember forever.
The best news is that this is very easy to make and ready in just 20 minutes, goes well as a perfect healthy version of lunch or dinner. A piece of this fish on a dome of piping hot basmati rice, along with some greens and Chinese chilli paste on the side, will make a filling and satisfying meal for someone who is very hungry.
You will need:
|Rainbow Trout – whole fish||1|
|Spring onion – Class A||a bunch|
|Root ginger and garlic||5 slices each|
|Soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|Sesame oil – Blended||1 tbsp|
1st Step: Prepare the fish
Clean and completely de-bone the fish, leaving only the main spinal bone. You can do this with the aid of a pair of scissors. Cut off the fins and scrape the scales off and place it on a plate. Cut the fish into two parts, if it is too long to fit on the plate. With a sharp knife, slash 2-4 deep crosses on the top of the fish and liberally sprinkle salt inside.
- Cut out the spring onion bunch very finely
- Slice up the ginger and garlic into thin pieces and place inside the deep cuts on the fish
- Sprinkle soy sauce all over
- Spread spring onions on the top and inside the fish
2nd step : Steam the fish
- Cover and steam on very high flame for exactly 20 mins
Tips for steaming: Take a flat, wide pan and place a small side plate upside down. Fill with water just below the brim. Place the plate with fish on the small plate and cover the lid. Steam the fish for 20 min all the way on high flame. High flame help to boil water and emit steam in a steady flow.
- Exactly after 20 mins, open the lid, let the steam escape
3rd step : Smoke fish with hot oil
- Now pour over 2 tbsps of cooking oil into a pan and heat up on high flame until it lets out smoke. This will take about 2 – 3 mins. Immediately pour smoky, hot oil over the fish. You will see the fish sizzling up and a mouth-watering aroma fills up in the kitchen
Serve the fish along with spring onions over a dome of steamed rice, accompanied with Chinese chilli paste on the side.