This one-pot Pilchard fried rice is a real feast!
A great choice for someone looking for a healthy version of meat-free special rice dish for lunch. Also, the aroma and the flavours of pilchard fish, tomatoes, potatoes and sauces will deliver a very satisfying meal indeed!
Make sure you buy Pacific pilchard in tomato sauce for this recipe as it is the ideal choice to give the best results.
🧡💛💚💙💜🤎Get ready with these items:
|Pacific Pilchard in rich tomato sauce||1 small tin 155 g|
|Rice (White basmati)||1 & 1/2 cups|
|Ginger and garlic grated||1 tbsp|
|Coriander leaves and stems||1 cup|
|Fish sauce||1 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|New / Baby Potatoes||6 cut into chunkes|
|Cumin seeds and mustard seeds||1 tsp each|
|Salt||1/2 tsp or to taste|
🧡💛💚💙💜🤎Let’s Make it:
- First, wash the rice until water runs clear. Drain water and keep aside
- Chop onions, tomatoes, grated ginger and garlic and cut potatoes. Open the tin of pilchards and drain the sauce into a cup. Leave aside the tomato sauce and fish pieces separately. Chop coriander leaves and stems. Keep everything aside
- Heat up olive oil in a wide pan. Sprinkle cumin seeds and mustard seeds, let them splutter.
- Add the sliced onion and lightly brown it
- Add the following ingredients and fry after each one
Salt, ginger-garlic paste, coriander leaves and stems, chopped tomato, tomato ketchup, tomato sauce from the tin, soy sauce and fish sauce
- Fry everything until a thick and juicy sauce is formed
- Add potatoes. Keep frying
- Drain water from the rice and add to the pot. Fry the rice for a min or two
- Next, pour warm water just above the rice
- Give a good stir to bring everything together, cover and cook on a very light flame. Cooking time usually takes 10 – 15 mins
- After 10 mins, open the lid, drop the fish pieces
- Adjust the taste
- If the rice is not cooked enough and there is no more water left, sprinkle hot water to the sides, cover tightly and lower the flame for allowing it to cook a bit further
- Finally, garnish with chopped coriander. Cover and keep the flavours to settle for about 10 mins
- You can serve this dish on its own or with Chinese chilli paste or any pickle on the side
- Yummy !!!