These fleshy fish fillets, with a very appetizing crispy outer layer is a very flavourful dish, which could be served as a main meal with a lots of vegetables or grilled tomatoes on the side.
This unique recipe was passed on to me by one of my Goan friends who is an expert in producing mouthwatering fish dishes in every meal time. Roll the fish fillets on samolina was her top tip as it gives such an addictive crunchiness and crispiness when they come out of the pan.
So, gather the necessary ingredients and let’s make it;
What you will need:
|Fish fillets (Thilapia)||4|
|Onion||1 chopped finely|
|Whole coriander seeds||2 tbsp|
|Whole cumin seeds||1 tbsp|
|Whole Kashmiri chilies||3-4 deseeded|
|Tamarind pulp||1 tbsp|
|Lemon||Juice of 1/2 lemon|
|Salt||a few pinches|
Let’s make :
- Wash, pat dry the fish fillets and season with salt and pepper
- Grind chopped onion, deseeded Kashmiri chili, salt, turmeric, garlic cloves, cumin seeds and coriander seeds to a paste, using a wet grinder or the hand blender
- Add tamarind pulp and lemon. Lightly grind until all come together
- Take the paste out, pat on one side of the fish fillets
- Place semolina on a plate and wrap both sides. Shake off the excess
- Heat up 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a wide pan and place fish fillets side by side
- Pan fry under low flame
- When one side is fried enough, carefully turn on to the other side. Fry both sides until golden and crispy
- If the oil runs out, sprinkle a bit more on top of the fillets
- Serve hot. Delicious with grilled tomatoes on the side.