This is my mum’s signature dish in which she poured a generous amount of love while making it, so, needless to say, that it always came out the best! However, she only made it on special occasions or on Sundays as a special treat for the family or friends who stopped by.
Unlike the usual biryani dishes, the cooking process is very simple and easy; any novice could come out with the mouthwatering results in his/her first attempt.
Mint chutney and chicken gravy are the best accompaniments for this dish and mint, being a medicinal food digester can work wonders. Recipe of these are given below;
So let’s make this is real winner of hearts for today’s lunch!
Ingredients required for 4 very hungry people :
|Chicken||Whole small chicken or 350 g of chicken legs cut into medium size pieces|
|Basmati Rice||2 & 1/2 cups|
|Plain Yoghurt||1/2 cup|
|Knor or Maggi Chicken soup cubes||1 and 1/2|
|Roasted curry powder or garam masala||2 tbsp|
|Ginger and garlic||2 tbsp grated|
|Cloves, peppercorns and cardamoms, cinnamon||5 each crushed|
|Turmeric powder and pepper powder||1 tsp each|
|Green chili||3 slit|
How to make:
- Massage the chicken pieces thoroughly with yoghurt, roasted curry powder, turmeric, grated ginger and garlic, salt, turmeric powder, pepper powder, slit green chilli and the crushed soup cube
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs.
Prepare the rice
- Wash the rice until water runs clear, drain, then keep aside for 20 mins. This will allow the rice to stretch during cooking.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a wide brim pan. Add the whole spices; cloves, peppercorns, cardamoms, cinnamons and let them crackle
- Add grated ginger and garlic or the paste of it
- Add the onion slices and slightly brown them. Drop a handful of curry leaves
- Now add the rice and quickly stir through, not letting it to stick to the bottom of the pan. Fry the rice for about 2 mins or until well coated.
- Now add the chicken with all its the marinade
- Mix rice and chicken thoroughly while turning them constantly for 2 – 3 mins.
Add warm water
- Add warm water, just above the level of rice.
- Give a good stir
- Adjust the taste at this point
- Cover the pan with a tea towl and then tightly close the lid
- Cook under very low fire
- Open after 10 mins and bring the bottom layer to the top and mix gently
- Cook until the meat is tender and rice is cooked properly
- Switch the flame off and let the pot rest for 15 mins for flavours to adjust
- Serve with mint chutney and chicken gravy
How to make:
- Take a handful of mint leaves and drop them into the jar of the hand blender
- Chop a few shallots and drop into the jar
- Thinly chop one or two small green chillies and add into the jar
- Thinly cut the root of a ginger piece and add with a few pinches of salt
- Now, crush everything into a pulp using the hand blender
- Squeeze half a lemon into the pulp and mix it with the fingers until everything comes together
- Taste and add more salt or lemon, if needed.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with ginger and garlic paste, chilli powder, pepper powder, slit green chilli, salt, turmeric, roasted curry powder and 2 tbsp of plain yoghurt
- Heat oil in a wide pan
- Add a few crushed garlic cloves, curry leaves and chopped onions and fry
- Drop 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder and a few drops of turmeric into the oil and fry
- Now drop all the chicken and fry a few minutes until well coated
- Cover, lower the flame and let the chicken cook for 5 mins
- Add warm water and inch above the chicken, cover and cook
- Add 1tbsp of coconut milk powder or thick coconut milk for flavour