This heartwarming, moist and crunchy on the top Classic Lemon Drizzle Cake is a real winner!
Experience the joy of pouring lemon syrup on the cake and watch how it dances a little while on the top and slowly sink beneath the spongy layers. But the best part is drizzling the lemony icing on the top, making pretty waves. If you fancy a bit more tangy flavour, do not hesitate to add an extra spoon full of lemon juice.
Let’s start now.
You will need the following ingredients:
|Self raising flour||175 g|
|sugar – white||175 g|
|Butter / spread||175 g|
|Eggs – large||2|
|Lemon juice||2 tbsp|
|Lemon zest||1/2 tbsp|
|Baking powder||1/2 tsp|
Let’s make :
- Set the oven to 160 C.
Cream the batter
- Cream butter and sugar using an electric mixer
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each adding
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder together and swift onto the batter using a sieve
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and milk
- Mix all with a wooden spoon until everything combines into a smooth batter
- Line up a loaf tray and pour the batter in
- Bake for 30 mins or until a skiver comes out clean
- Take the cake out of the oven and leave to rest for 5 mins in the tray
- Stab all over the cake with a skiver
- Take out and place on a wire rack
Make the lemon syrup
- Mix 3 tbsp of lemon juice with 3 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Heat up only until the syrup gets warm. (do not boil)
- Pour over the cake while the cake is still warm.
- Leave to cool.
- Simply mix 4 tbsp of icing sugar with 3 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Now pour over the cake.
- Let it drizzle from sides.
- Your cake is ready to serve.