This simple savoury rice dish is kid’s favourite which tastes great on it’s own or accompanied with any side dish. Not only has it got a good texture, but also an appealing shape in the form of a dome; kids love it and so do grown-up’s, indeed. I got the inspiration for rice dishes from the Japanese: they turned boiled rice into various forms, while making the presentation as important as the taste. This is how you prepare it in order to get the above:
You will need:
|Basmati Rice||1 cup|
|Leeks- stem and green both parts / a bunch of spring onions||1 long stem|
|Fish sauce||1 tbsp|
|Frozen peas||3 tbsp|
|Salt to taste|
|A pinch of turmeric/saffron for colour|
Let’s make it :
- Wash and soak the rice in cold water for about 20 mins.
- Drain water and fill with fresh water just above the level of rice.
- Mix salt , turmeric/saffron and a few drops of olive oil to keep the rice grains apart once cooked.
- Cover and cook under medium heat. Once cooked, open the lid, fluff up the rice and let the steam escape.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a wok.
- Add garlic pieces and slightly brown them.
- Add white stems of leeks first and stir fry for 1min.
- Then add the green part of leeks and green peas. ( place the frozen green peas in the microwave with a little water and heat up for 1 -2 mins to thaw them)
- Add fish sauce, three pinches of salt and stir fry another minute or two.
- Now add cooked rice in batches while mixing.
- Check for salt and add if needed more.
- Your green savoury rice is ready to serve now.
- Fill up rice in to a dessert cup and press down slightly. Now place gently on a plate upside down, give a little shake and lift up slowly.
- A dome of green savoury rice will now be sitting prettily in the middle of your plate.