These pretty pink and green, dainty colour combination of this cake will make a delightful sight at a little girl’s birthday party. The creamy butter icing between the layers and on the top is simply heavenly!
If you have a large oven tray, divide it into two equal sections with a hardbord and lay baking papers neatly. This way, you could bake both layers of the cake in the same tray. Otherwise, divide the cake batter in equal two parts and bake in separate two trays, placing them side by side in the oven.
To make the process easier, you can make the butter icing on the previous day and store it in the fridge.
To cut neat and dainty pieces from the cake, place it in the fridge for 1 hr.
Get ready with the following ingredients;
|Self Raising flour||300 g|
|Stork spread / Margerine||300 g|
|Caster sugar||300 g|
|Lemon juice||2 tsp|
|Baking powder||1 1/2 tsp|
Set the oven to 180 C(Gas mark 4)
- Beat margerine and sugar until creamy for about 4 mins, using an electric hand mixer
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat for 30 sec after each addition
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice and salt and beat for two rounds
- Mix baking powder to flour and sieve onto the cake batter, holding well above it. Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything incorporates into a creamy batter
- Mix milk and fold with a wooden spoon. Do not use the electric mixer
- Divide the batter into two equal parts and add red liquid colour to one and green liquid colour to the other. Drop just enough red to make pink colour
- Line up a baking tray with parchment paper and spoon the batter into it and flatten with a spatula
- Lift up the tray and drop it twice onto your kitchen top, allowing the batter to spread and settle evenly on the try
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20 mins. Baking time could vary according to the settings of your oven
- Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes clean, your cake is ready. If not, leave it in the oven for another 5/10 mins. If the top of the cake is browned and the middle is raw, cover the top with a baking paper and continue baking for another 10 mins until done.
- Let the cake rest in the tray for 10 mins
- Slowly remove from the tray and place it on a cooling rack
- Let the cake cool completely before icing
Delicious Butter Icing Recipe
- Icing sugar – 300 g (Sieve twice to get the best smooth icing sugar)
- Stork spread/ Margerine 125 g
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Milk – 3 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – two drops
Let’s make the icing;
- Cream up all together using an electric hand mixer
- The icing should have no lumpy bits but a very smooth creamy texture
Ice the cake;
- Next, cut the sides and top layer off from the cake
- Take a generous dollop from butter cream icing and spread it across one layer
- Sandwich with the other later and spread icing on the top
- Throw some sprinkles on the top
- Place the cake in the fridge or in a cool place for the icing to settle
- Dip a knife in hotwater, wipe clean before cutting the cake into dainty pieces