This cheesy, meaty and juicy lasagne is a real winner of hearts! Just one-pot dish with meat, an assortment of veggies, layers of pasta topped with lots of cheese, could be the most satisfying meal for your family!
Rather than making the sauce from scratch, I opted for my favourite Loyds Grossman pasta sauce. Its unique flavours fulfil all the needs of a juicy sauce that satisfies everyone’s taste buds.
So, precisely this is not the traditional way of making lasagne, but, it is rather a quick fix, but an insanely delicious one!
So, let’s start.
Gather all these necessary ingredients:
|Lasagne sheets||1 packet|
|Good quality minced lean beef or minced chicken||500 g|
|Lasagne white sauce or homemade white sauce||1 bottle|
|Pasta sauce (I used Llyod Grossman brand)||1 bottle|
|Soy sauce – dark||2tbsps|
|Baby spinach||5 handfuls|
|Button mushrooms (halved)||1-2 cups|
|Bell peppers (red, green, yellow) – 1 from each colour|
|Salt and pepper powder||1/2 tsp each|
|Parmesan Cheese grated|
|Mozzarella cheese grated|
Boil and keep the Lasagne sheets ready;
- Fill a large pan with water and add 2 tbsp of oil
- Boil the water rapidly
- Arrange lasagna sheets upright around the pan as shown in the picture, lower the flame to medium
- They will slide down slowly while boiling away
- Boil them for 10-15 mins, constantly stirring with tongs not letting the sheets to stick to each other.
- Once all the sheets are tender, remove them gently
- Sprinkle some cold water on a tray and arrange lasagna sheets separately until needed
Let’s make the meat filling now:
- Into a large wok, pour 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Fry the chopped onion and garlic
- Drop carrots cut into thin rounds. Stir fry until tender
- Drop halved button mushrooms
- Add three bell peppers cut into squares
- Stir fry until the veggie are soft
- Add salt and pepper powder to taste
- Push all the veggies into a side of the wok and add meat. Brown the meet
- Stir fry under medium flame. Do not close the lid
- Now add the Loyd pasta sauce
- Add 2tbsp of Mayo, 2tbsp of soy sauce and 2tbsp Ketchup
- Bring veggies and meet together and stir fry a few more minutes
- Finally, add the spinach and stir fry until the sauce is properly cooked. Do not close the lid as it will ooze out water.
- Adjust taste at this point
- Keep aside
Now pre – heat the oven to 180 C.
Let’s start the fun part of layering the lasagne sheets.
- Get a wide Pyrex dish/oven proof baking dish / best choice is a typical lasagne dish
- Spread a layer of meat first
- Then lay lasagna sheets neatly on top to cover the meat. Do not overlap the sheets. Cover the whole surface without gaps
- Next, pour a layer of white sauce on top of lasagna sheets
- Spread a handful of cheddar cheese on the top
- Another layer of meat goes next
- A layer of Lasagna sheets on top
- Again pour a layer of white sauce and top with cheese
- Keep repeating the same steps until the layers come to the brim of the dish.
- Now, toss a lot of Parmesan cheese on top
- Finally, sprinkle Mozzarella cheese liberally
- Place the dish in the middle shelf of the oven and bake
- After 15 mins sneak a peek. If the top has turned into a tempting golden brown, take the dish out
- Let the dish sit for 10 mins before start serving – Well, only if you can resist it!
- Cut into squares and dip a spatula to gently lift the pieces up on to plates
- Serve warm with garlic bread or on its own
Home-made white sauce
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan
- Add a cup of fresh milk and stir well
- Add a cup of plain flour little by little while constantly stirring
- Add salt, pepper powder and oregano
- Check the taste and take out from the pan
- If the sauce is too thick add a little more milk and stir
- Always homemade white sauce taste better than any shop bought ones!