Crunchy stuffed chilies, deep fried to perfection of golden colour and filled with juicy stire fried onions is an irressitable delight for chili lovers. These crispy chilies could be served on the side of any main meal or served on its own with a pool of ketch-up or chili sauce as a snack.
First make the stuffing:
- Slice two medium onions and fry in little olive oil until golden.
- Add salt, a pinch of turmeric, 1/4 tsp of curry powder, 1/4 tsp of chili powder and a few crushed curry leaves. Mix and stir fry a few mins.
- Add a few roughly mashed boiled potatoes.
- Mix all , check the taste and keep aside. Add more chili powder and salt if needed.
Fill the chilies
- Next, place the green banana chilies in a bowl and fill it with hot water. Cover and keep for 5 mins until the chilies get wilted.
- Shake all the water off and remove the seeds inside. Then slit each chili carefully on top to open a cavity.
- Remove some of the seeds and fill the onion and potato stuffing in the cavity spreading it across the chili and lightly press together.
Make the batter
- Make batter by mixing 1/2 cup of plain flour and water. Whisk with a fork to make it without lumps. Add a beaten egg white and whisk until you have a thick batter. Mix 2-3 pinches of salt and a pinch of turmeric to flavour the batter.
- Now with a help of a tong, dip the stuffed chili into the batter and take out gently
- Roll on golden breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil. Do not try to turn the frying chilies in the first few minutes as the batter might slip out. Gently turn and fry all sides.
- Fry all the chilies in batches.
- Serve hot.