Easy to make, delicious with every mouthful, this chocolate cake is everyone’s favourite because of its unique soft texture and the creamy butter icing on the top, which in turn play the major role in enhancing the overall taste.
Even for an absolute novice, making this cake, metaphorically speaking, is a ‘piece of cake’. It is perfect for birthday parties or as the birthday cake itself for the event. You will proudly present this as your kid’s birthday cake and see all the infectiously-beaming smiles around.
Also, once you get the confidence of making this, you will never go for ready-made chocolate cakes on supermarket shelves. Even if you buy one and bring home, your kids will spot the difference between this and the one you buy and demand the latter. They will be your fiercely-loyal fans and will be hooked on to your homemade heavenly chocolate cake for ever.
Get the right ingredients to make it:
|Self raising flour||300 g|
|Stork spread/Butter/ Magerine||300 g|
|Caster sugar||300 g|
|Vanila essence||1 tsp|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Cocoa powder||4 g|
Let’s make it:
Set the oven to 180 C . (Temperature conversion chart is given under Tips)
- Beat butter and sugar together until creamy, using an electric hand mixer. This will take approximately 3 mins.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice, salt and beat for two rounds.
- Mix baking powder, flour and cocoa powder and sieve onto the cake batter, holding the sieve well above it, allowing the air to escape.
- Do not use the electric mixer at this point. Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything turns into a creamy batter.
- Mix milk . Give a good mix with a wooden spoon going clockwise.
- Line up a baking tray with parchment paper and spoon the batter into the baking tray and flatten with a spatula.
- Lift up the tray and drop it twice onto your kitchen-top gently, allowing the batter to spread and settle evenly on the try.
- Pop it in the oven and bake for 20 – 25 mins. In the first 10 min never try to open the oven door.
- Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes clean, your cake is ready.
- Take it out from the oven and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Slowly remove from the tray and place it on a cooling rack to cool off completely. This will take 2 -3 hrs.
- Your cake is ready to ice now.
To make the butter icing you will need :
|Icing sugar||300 g|
|Margerine or butter||125 g|
|Cocoa powder||5 tbsp|
|Milk||2 – 3 tbsps|
|vanilla||a few drops|
|Sprinklers to decorate|
- Sieve icing sugar from a sieve to get rid of hard bits or lumps.
- Beat icing sugar and butter together until creamy.
- Add milk, vanilla and lemon.
- Your chocolate icing is ready.
Now Ice the cake :
- Cut the cake into four squares. Remove the top crust slowly without damaging the cake.
- Slice them from the middle with a long knife, dipped in hot water.
- Spread icing on the bottom layer.
- Place the top layer, press softly.
- Spread icing on top, throw a handful of sprinklers.
- Let the iced cake rest for an hour for juices and moisture to settle.
- Done !!!
- Your yummy treat is ready to serve !!!
Chocolate cakes as a Christmas treat !!