Now that the summer is at its peak, blackberries are bursting on every bush, basking in golden sunshine, looking plump and juicy, trailing along, arching to the paths . On our daily walks on tiny paths running through shady woods, I cannot resist picking handfuls of juicy blackberries with my little son in tow; we both end up gobbling them up. Afterwards, it is all giggles and sticking our tongues out to check whose is the more purplish!!
The other day, I picked a basket of blackberries from the brambles and made this beautiful jam. I mentioned ‘beautiful’ because of its rich blend of purple and magenta colours. You can either pick them yourself for free or just buy a punnet or two from the supermarket to make this jam.
Not much complications, not many ingredients and as easy as it sounds, this is a real treat for this summer!!
All you need are :
- 350 g Plump and juicy blackberries
- 350 g caster sugar
- 1/4 lemon
Let’s make it:
- Place blackberries in a heavy bottom pan so that they wont easily burn out.
- On medium flame let them boil for 3-4 mins. You will see all the juices from the fruits run out and bubbles foam on the top.
- Add 350 g caster sugar and lemon. Stir through.
- On medium flame, let them bubble away for 8 mins. Keep stiring.
- Switch the flame off and let the jam cool off in the pan itself.
- Store in a glass bottle.
- Enjoy on a buttered toast!!
- Yummy !!
- if you do not fancy the bits in it, mash the fruits with a wooden spoon while boiling.
- store in the fridge.