Much loved for its finest taste and luxury appearance, Eton mess is a very popular dessert in the summer season in England and believed to be served at the annual cricket match at the Eton College in the late 19th century, where it got its name!
Who can resist this indulgent, sweet strawberry dessert? The occasional crunch of the meringues in the silky smooth cream, drenched in the sweet strawberry sauce and the taste of fresh juicy strawberries, make it a heavenly treat in the warm summer months, where the strawberries are in abundance.
The best news is that it takes only a few minutes to whip it up! Gather the ingredients needed and it’s just whipping the cream and wrapping all in it! Then, grab a spoon and let your taste buds go dancing!
Serve on a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or just decorate a cake with it to give an absolute luxury taste and appearance!
|For the strawberry sauce|
|Juicy strawberries||200g and a cup full for garnishing|
|Sugar||3 1/2 tbsp|
|Lemon juice||1 tsp|
|For the whipped cream|
|Double cream – whipping cream||200ml|
|Icing sugar||3 tbsp|
|Lemon juice||3 drops|
|Buy a packet of good quality meringues from a supermarket|
Let’s whip it:
1st Step: make the strawberry sauce
- Place strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and water together in a pan and heat up gently until the strawberries are softened and floating in a sauce. This will take about 10-15 mins.
- Send the sauce through a sieve to get a clear liquid without any seeds
- Keep aside to cool.
2nd Step: Whip up the cream
Eton Mess will be a messy and an undesirable lump if the cream is not whipped into perfection. It is very important to place the cream and the mixing pins in the fridge until needed and wipe the bowl clean and dry.
- Take the cream and mixing pins out of the fridge and immediately pour cream into the bowl
- Now start whipping at medium speed and gradually increase the speed to maximum. You will notice the cream thickens while mixing rapidly for 3/4 mins
- Add icing sugar while beating in full power
- Add lemon juice
- Beat until stiff peaks form. When you lift the pins, the peaks must not drip but stay stiff and firm
- Check the sweetness and add a bit more icing sugar in, if you desire to take the sweetness a little further
3rd Step: Assemble – the best part!
- Slice a cup full of strawberries and drop into the cream
- Add some of the strawberry sauce
- Crush some meringues and drop
- Mix all together
- Decorate with more strawberries, strawberry sauce sprinkled on the top and meringue scattered on
- Take a tall glass and drop chopped strawberries, then whipped cream and top it up with strawberry sauce. Continue the same layers until you reach the top.
- Decorate with a sprig of mint
- Place in the fridge for 2/3 hrs and serve chilled
My Amazon picks: