Now that the summer is at its peak, blackberries are bursting on every bush, basking in golden sunshine, looking plump and juicy, trailing along, arching to the paths. On our daily walks on tiny paths running through shady woods, I cannot resist picking handfuls of juicy blackberries with my little son in tow; we both end up gobbling them up. Afterwards, it is all giggles and sticking our tongues out to check whose is the more purplish!!
The other day, I picked a basket of blackberries from the brambles and made this beautiful jam. I mentioned ‘beautiful’ because of its rich blend of purple and magenta colours. You can either pick them yourself for free or just buy a punnet or two from the supermarket to make this jam.
Not much complications, not many ingredients and as easy as it sounds, this is a real treat for this summer!!
All you need are :
- 350 g Plump and juicy blackberries
- 350 g caster sugar
- 1/4 lemon
Let’s make it:
- Place blackberries in a heavy bottom pan so that they wont easily burn out.
- On medium flame let them boil for 3-4 mins. You will see all the juices from the fruits run out and bubbles foam on the top.
- Add 350 g caster sugar and lemon. Stir through.
- On medium flame, let them bubble away for 8 mins. Keep stirring.
- Switch the flame off and let the jam cool off in the pan itself.
- Store in a glass bottle.
- Enjoy on a buttered toast!!
- Yummy !!
- if you do not fancy the bits in it, mash the fruits with a wooden spoon while boiling.