This juicy Karela dish, inspired by Panjabi cuisine, is a delicious blend of the bitterness of Karelas and the natural sweetness of onions and tomatoes. You will be surprised to learn that, to produce such a delicacy you will need only 3 main ingredients:
And only 3 main spices :
- Chilli powder
Bitter Gourd, also known as karella or karawila is a sure diabetes buster according to ayurvedic medicine. This vegetable can be turned into a variety of dishes, depending on the type of cuisine you would like to follow. However, If you get the ingredients and their proportions right this is simply the best karella dish you can prouduce.
I am grateful to Munaza, my Pakistani friend and her mom, for her dedicated culinary guidance in making this dish.
You will need the following ingredients:
|Bitter Gourd/Karella/Karavila||3 medium|
|Onions(Indian Onion)||3 large or 4 medium|
|Chili powder||1 tbsp|
|Juicy Tomatoes||3 large or 4 medium|
|Olive oil or any cooking oil||3 tbsp|
Let’s make it:
- Wash and cut Karella into thin rounds, slice onions thinly and slice tomatoes
- Heat oil and drop the Karela rounds. Stir fry under low flame until soft
- Drop all the sliced onions and diced tomatoes
- Add chili powder, salt, and turmeric powder
- Continue frying until all look juicy and sufficiently cooked
- Cover and cook under very low flame
- Occasionally, give a good stir and cover again.
- Drop a couple of bullet chilies, slit in the middle. Lower the flame. Let cook
- Taste and add more salt if required
- Switch the flame off, cover, and let the juices run and settle
- Enjoy with a bowl of steaming white rice or chapatis!