This wonderfully-buttery sponge cake with a soft golden crust is the first cake that every aspiring cake-baker must get right.
We all know that in everything we do, the first step matters a lot. If the first step goes exactly as planned, it will boost confidence, which in turn catapult us to be more adventurous.
First, master the art of making this simple but full of promises sponge cake as it gives a clear insight into all the baking techniques and you will be baking t glorious varieties of cakes in no time!
All the tips and techniques are given here, so, nothing can go wrong. Even if you are baking for the first time, do not worry, nothing could possibly go wrong if you follow the timings and techniques.
Whip this cake out and serve it around with love!
You will need the following items:
|Self Raising flour||250 g|
|Margarine or melted butter under room temperature||250 g|
|Caster sugar(grind sugar if using usual sugar)||250 g|
|Eggs under room temp||4|
|Lemon juice and Vanilla essence||1 tsp each|
|Salt (salt will incorporate all flavours beautifully)||2 pinches|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
Let’s make it: Set the oven to 180C.
Oven temperature conversion chart:
Cream the batter
- Cream butter and sugar together until creamy, using an electric hand mixer. Go clockwise (3 mins)
- Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you beat 3 rounds after each addition
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice, salt and finally, cream all together for 2-3 mins
- Mix baking powder to flour and sieve onto the cake batter, holding the sieve well above it, allowing the air to escape
- Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything turns into a creamy batter. Do not use the electric mixer at this point
- Add milk and mix well with a spatula/wooden spoon until no bits, smooth batter is formed
In to the tray
- Line up a baking tray with parchment paper and spoon the batter into the baking tray and flatten with a spatula
- Lift up the tray and drop it twice onto your kitchen-top gently, allowing the batter to spread and settle evenly on the try
Stick in the oven
- Place the tray in the lowest shelf of the oven
- Bake for 20 mins or the top turns golden yellow (Never open the oven door in the initial 10 mins)
Time for a peek!
- After 20 mins, insert a skewer in the middle of the cake and if it comes clean, your cake is ready! Or just push the middle of the cake with a finger and if it springs back the cake is done!
- Take it out from the oven and let it rest for 5 mins
- Slowly remove from the tray and place it on a cooling rack
- Peel off the parchment paper gently and let the cake cool off completely!
Time to serve your cake!
- Dip a knife in hot water, wipe clean and cut the cake into dainty squares
- Enjoy your beautiful sponge cake with a sweet milky tea!
Tips for a perfect cake
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Always use the best brands – flour, butter or margarine, baking powder, vanilla
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡I personally recommend margarine for perfect cakes as butter could be very dense and go hard in cold climates
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Never slam the oven door after placing the cake in. This will make the cake sink in the middle
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Never open the oven door in the initial 10 mins of baking
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Always use an electric hand or stand mixer
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Do not use the electric mixer once the flour is added. Use a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon and gently fold
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Too much baking powder can sink the cake. Stick to the right proportions
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡It is essential to preheat the oven at least 15-20mins
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Digital kitchen scale will never go wrong in measurements
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡All the ingredients must be at room temperature
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Lift and drop the tray with the batter gently on the kitchen top twice for it to level properly
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡If the cake is browned on top and the middle is under-baked, cover the top with parchment paper and continue baking for a further 10mins
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Use a skewer to stab in the middle of the cake after 20mins and if the skewer comes clean, the cake is baked. If the batter is stuck to the skewer, close the oven door and let it bake for further 5-10mins
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Add lots of love and attention to your cake! Never bake when your mind is distracted!
For beginners – It is very important that you must be in tune with your oven like real good buddies! Both should be aware of each other’s minds! this is because any oven has a mind of its own! More technically, ovens are different from each other in very strange ways! funnily enough, it is true and any baker will attest to this point.
How to get in tune with your oven
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Set the oven to 180C and pre-heat for 20mins
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Make the usual pound cake batter and divide it into three equal portions
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Prepare 3 tins lined up with baking paper
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Pour batter into the 3 trays
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Now, place one tray in the middle of the oven and bake for 20 mins and check how it has come out. If you are fully satisfied with the outcome, the middle shelf is perfect for baking your cake
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Next, place the second try on the bottom shelf in the oven and bake for 20-25mins. If the cake has come better than the first in sponginess and in texture, then opt for the lowest shelf for your future cakes!
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡 the Third tray must go to where you feel the best shelf to place it. The third tray will confirm which shelf in your oven could be trusted for baking the best cakes.
🤎💜💙💚💛🧡Once, this test is done, you can go ahead baking any cake in your oven without worry!
Other easy delicious cakes using the same batter
Chocolate Cake with chocolate butter icing