This delicious, silky smooth chicken-sweetcorn soup, served with homemade croutons on the side, is a real winter warmer!
Serve this soup as a starter in the cold winter months or serve to someone who is just recovering from a nasty cold. Kids too will love the soft bite of sweetcorn and the crunchiness of the buttered croutons floating on the soup.
I fried the croutons with a little butter on the pan, instead of making them in the oven, which I found much easier and less time consuming too. To my delight I found them beautifully buttery and crunchy, just the perfect crusty accompaniment for the soup!
You need the following ingredients to make this soup:
|Chicken breast/pieces without bones||100 g|
|Corn flour||1 tbsp|
|Warm water||2 cups|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|Spring onion chopped||1 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||1/2 tbsp|
|Olive oil or any cooking oil||1 tbsp|
Let’s make :
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan
- Drop chopped onions and garlic and saute a little. Do not brow
- Add the chicken pieces cut into strips and stir fry for 2 mins
- Add salt and pepper
- Pour 1 & 1/2 cups of warm water, cover and boil for 10 mins
- Next, pour the chicken broth through a sieve
- Separate the chicken pieces and tear them to thin strips
- Pour the chicken broth again to the pan and let it simmer
- Drop sweetcorn and spring onions and give a good stir
- Beat the egg and slowly pour into the pan while stiring vigorously with a fork
- Add vinegar and Soy sauce
- Mix cornflour with 2tbsp of warm water and add into the pan and keep stirring
- Adjust the taste. Add a bit more water if the soup is too thick
- Mix everything and simmer under low flame for 3 – 5 mins while stirring continuously
- Serve piping hot in an elegant soup bowl with homemade croutons on the side
- Spread butter on both sides of three bread slices
- Cut them into cubes
- Drop a blob of butter into a non stick pan
- Drop the bread cubes and pan fry both sides until golden and crusty
- Delicious !