This glorious treat is usually reserved for a special occasion considering its extraordinary richness and exotic taste.
Traditionally, this pudding is steamed in an aluminium pudding basin, dipped into a large pan half-filled with water. However, you can also bake it in a Pyrex dish in the oven which is easier and less time-consuming. If you fancy the original taste, do not hesitate to steam it. Either way, you will come to love it!!
I made this pudding using Maggi coconut milk powder which I found the best choice in the absence of fresh coconut milk and also, the texture of the pudding comes out much firmer allowing you to cut into dainty squares.
So, give it a try today !!
What you will need:
|Maggie Coconut Milk Powder||6 full tablespoons|
|Palm jaggery (Brown)||1 round|
|Brown sugar||2 tbsp|
|Nutmeg -grated (essential item for this pudding)||1 full tsp|
Let’s make it :
- Place the jaggery round in a bag and knock it with a rolling pin until powdered
- Now, drop jaggery, eggs, coconut milk powder, grated nutmeg, salt and 2 tbsp of water into the blender jar
- Blend only 30 seconds. More mixing will loosen the pudding
- Sieve through a siever
- Pour the liquid into a pudding basin, cover tightly with a foil and steam. Or, pour into a Pyrex dish, cover with a foil, place the dish in a baking tray, half-filled with water and bake in the oven at 200 C for 30 – 45 mins. (This is called double boiling method)
- After 45 mins take the tray out, remove the cover slightly and insert a skewer and check if it comes clean. If so, the pudding is ready! If not, place it in the oven for another 10 mins.
- Take the dish out, open the foil cover and let it cool off. (You can sprinkle some roasted or raw cashews on top at this point)
- Place the pudding in the fridge and cut into perfect squares before serving.
- Yum !!