You will need the following items:
|Self Raising flour||250 g|
|Margarine or butter softened||250 g|
|Caster sugar||250 g|
|Lemon juice and Vanilla essence||1 tsp each|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
Let’s make them: Set the oven to 180 C .
Oven temperature conversion http://happyrecipes.co.uk/oven-temperature-conversion/
- Beat butter and sugar together until creamy, using an electric hand mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice, salt and beat for two rounds.
- Mix baking powder to flour and sieve onto the cake batter, holding the sieve well above it, allowing the air to escape.
- Do not use the electric mixer at this point. Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything turns into a creamy batter.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Fill the paper cupcake cases 3/4 th with the batter, leaving space for cakes to rise.
- Place the cases in the cupcake tray.
- Pop it in to the oven.
- Bake for 13-20 min. (Never open the oven door in the inital 10 mins)
- Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes clean, your cake is ready.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Slowly remove the cupcakes from the tray and place them on a cooling rack.
- Let the cakes cool off completely !!!
Let’s make the butter icing now :
|Icing sugar||300 g|
|Butter or Margarine||125 g|
|Lemon juice||1/2 tsp|
|Liquid cake colours (red)|
|Vanilla||A few drops|
Let’s make the icing:
- Cream up all together using an electric hand mixer .
- Drop two drops from red liquid colour into one bowl to make pink colour.
- Spread a layer of pink icing cream on the top. Or, make swirls using your cake decorating kit.
- Immediately after, sprinkle colourful sprinkles or desiccated coconut dipped in any colour.
- Your pretty cup cakes are ready.