Creating these pretty cupcakes for the Red Nose Day charity cake sale held by my little son’s school gave both of us unlimited fun. The delight in my sons’s eyes told me that all the time and energy spent on those never gone wasted.
You can see the moods created on top of the iced cupcake to imply that expressions are unique to us, humans : Cool faces, mild faces, wild faces, glamours faces with pouting lips and guys with cool glasses and some sad faces with a single tear dropping. You can set your creative ideas to take over and enjoy doing something unique and beautiful. After all, it’s all for a good cause.
I used ready to roll icing in different colours to make the features of the faces. You can simply kneed the icing and roll it out to make any shape, just like the playing clay. You can even cover the whole surface of the cupcake with a layer of this icing, cut into shape which is quicker and easier but the cake won’t taste good. Delicious home-made butter icing (recipe given below) spreaded liberally on top could taste the cake heavenly! After all, the cakes should not only look pretty but also taste delicious in every bite.
You can even decorate similar type of cakes for any party or just to amuse your little ones. They will love to join in making them too.
I normally bake the cupcakes on the previous day and let them cool completely. Next day, you have all the time and energy to spare for decorating them elaborately. If you couple both on the same day, you could be too tired to launch yourself in decorating them at ease.
So, let’s start,
You will need the following items:
|Self Raising flour||250 g|
|Margarine or butter softened (30 secs in the microwave )||250 g|
|Caster sugar||250 g|
|Lemon juice and Vanilla essence||1 tsp each|
Let’s make them: Set the oven to 180 C . (Temperature conversion is given under Tips)
- Beat butter and sugar together until creamy, using an electric hand mixer (3 mins)
- Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you beat well after each addition for 1/2 min
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice and beat for two rounds.
- Mix baking powder to flour and salt and sieve onto the cake batter, holding the sieve well above it, allowing the air to escape.
- Do not use the electric mixer at this point. Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything turns into a creamy batter.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Your cake batter is ready now.
Fill the cupcake cases and bake now:
- Fill the paper cupcake cases 3/4 th with the batter, leaving space for cakes to rise.
- Place the cakes in the cupcake tray.
- Pop it in to the oven.
- Bake for 13-20 min.
- Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes clean, your cake is ready.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Slowly remove the cupcakes from the tray and place them on a cooling rack.
- Let the cakes cool off completely !!!
Let’s make the butter icing now :
|Icing sugar (seived)||300 g|
|Butter or Margarine||125 g|
|Lemon juice||1/2 tsp|
|Vanilla a few drops|
Let’s make the icing:
- Cream up all together using an electric hand mixer
- Spread a layer of icing flat on the top
- To decorate you can opt for any kind of sweets ; smarties, m&m, jelly babies, sprinkles
- To set features like those below, roll out different coloured royal icing and arrange on the top
- Your pretty cup cakes are ready
- Have a happy Red Nose Day!