Devinely rich in taste, yet light and spongy in texture, this beautiful chocolate sponge roll is dangerously addictive!
Gurenteed to be light and spongy and at the same time rich with delicious, chocolate fudge icing that would melt sweetly in your mouth; this is an instant hit in the tea time treats.
It is unbelievably easier to make this than any other cake, as it takes less than 5 mins to fix the sponge batter. Also, the ingredients used in this cake are very simple and could be found in your kitchen cupboard at anytime.
Top tip : If you make the icing in advance and store in the fridge in an air tight plastic box, you can save even more time.
To make this cake you will need the following ingredients:
|Plain flour||220 g|
|Soft brown sugar (you can use normal white caster sugar in place of this)||225 g|
|Chocolate powder||2 tbsp|
|Baking powder||1/2 tsp|
Set the Oven
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C
- Seperate the egg whites and yolks
- Beat egg whites for 2 mins using an electric hand mixer, high speed, until it gives peaks
- Add sugar in three times while beating in high speed for 1 min (Never drop all the sugar at once)
- Now add the egg yolks. Beat for 1 min
- Add Vanilla, two pinches of salt
- Add chocolate powder, baking powder and flour together and seive on to the cake
- Do not use the electric mixer at this point. Fold flour using a spatula until the batter comes creamy.
Prepare the tin
- 12″ x 10″ size square tine will be the right size for the sponge
- line up with a parchment paper
- Grease with butter for easy peeling off
- Spread the batter in the tray
- Lift and drop the tray twice on the kitchen top to set the batter even
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 15 mins or a skewer comes out clean when stabbed in the middle of the cake
Prepare the parchment paper for rolling the cake
- Lay a wide parchment paper on a kitchen towel
- Sprinkle granulated sugar and keep it ready for rolling out the cake
Take the cake out of the oven
- As soon as the cake is out of the oven, lay it face down on the sugar sprinkled parchment paper
- Sprinkle some water on to the linining parchement paper, so that it comes out easily. Peel it off gently
- Now, while the cake is still very warm, roll out with the parchment paper
- Leave it to cool off completely for 1 hr.
Ice it (Recipe for Fudge icing is given below)
- Once the cake is cooled off, open it flat on a tray
- Spread a thick layer of fudge icing
- Sprinkle some icing sugar on top
- Roll out gently
- Spread a generous amout of fudge icing on the top using a spatula
- Scrape horizontical lines using a fork
- Cut the sides off
- Refrigirate for 2 hrs
- Decorate with Strawberries or chocolate chips
- Place in the fridge to set at least an hour
- Take out from the fridge before 1/2 hr of serving.
- Ready to devour with delight!
To make chocolate fudge icing you will need
|Icing sugar||1/2 cup|
|Double cream||1/4 cup|
|Margerine or spread||50 g|
|Milk chocolate buttons||110 g|
|Cocoa powder||3 tbsp|
- In a small glass bowl place chocolate drops, butter and double cream.
- Place a wider pan on stove and fill it with hot water.
- Dip the glass bowl into the wide pan.
- Stir slowly until chocolates melt along with butter and cream.
- If the chocolates are hard, heat up the pan with water under very light flame.
- Add sieved icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Take out from the pan and stir until you are left with a creamy chocolaty melt.
- Leave to cool.
- If the consistancy is too thick, heat up in the microwave for 5 seconds.
- Ready to ice any cake