It is amazing that this simple light and fluffy buttery cake, turns into a gorgeous teatime treat when its golden crusty top is glazed with butter and sugar crystal syrup. It gives such a sweet crunchiness to the top layer making every bite pleasurable. Make this delightful treat for your friends for afternoon tea and enjoy it relaxing in the garden with a steaming pot of tea.
Let’s make it:
|Self Raising flour||250 g|
|Margarine or butter||250 g|
|Caster sugar||250 g|
|Lemon juice and Vanilla essence||1 tsp each|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
Let’s make it: Set the oven to 180 C . (Temperature conversion is given under Tips)
- Beat butter and sugar together until creamy, using an electric hand mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice, salt and beat for two rounds.
- Mix baking powder to flour and sieve onto the cake batter, holding the sieve well above it, allowing the air to escape.
- Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything turns into a creamy batter.
- Add milk and mix into the batter.
- Line up a round baking tray with parchment paper and spoon the batter into the baking tray and flatten with a spatula.
- Lift up the tray and drop it twice onto your kitchen-top gently, allowing the batter to spread and settle evenly on the try.
- Pop it in the oven.
- Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes clean, your cake is ready.
- Take it out from the oven and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Slowly remove from the tray, peel off the baking paper and place it on a cooling rack.
- Let the cake rest for 15 mins.
(Do not spread this syrup when the cake is warm. Let it cool off for about 20 mins.)
- Place a heap of a tablespoon of butter in a bowl.
- Add a tablespoon of brown sugar and mix well.
- Now place the bowl in the microwave or on the stove and heat for a minute. Do not boil.
- Take out and give a good stir with a spoon. The sugar should not be dissolved completely but crystallized.
- Pour the sugar syrup using a small spoon all over the cake.
- After a few mins you will notice the sugar crystals have formed on the top.