These plain vanilla cupcakes are so easy to make and would stay fresh and moist for days!
I have added corn flour into the cake batter that made the cakes extra spongy. The light, silkyness in corn flour had a magical effect indeed!
Keep an eye on the oven because the cakes can get over baked and the top would be crispy instead of coming out super soft and spongy. Hence, as soon as you see them changing into a soft golden colour, open the oven door and quickly instert a skewer or press in the middle to check if they are baked properly. If the cakes are fully baked the skewer should come clean or if you press them in the middle, they should spring back. Immediately, take the cakes out of the oven and let them cool off.
Let’s make them at the teatime today,
You will need the following items:
|Self Raising flour||225 g|
|Corn flour||25 g|
|Caster sugar||250 g|
|Margarine/butter under room temp. (Stork brand spread is best in UK)||250 g|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Lemon juice and Vanilla essence||1 tsp each|
Let’s make them: Set the oven to 160 C . Gas mark 3.
Oven temperature conversion : http://happyrecipes.co.uk/oven-temperature-conversion/
- Cream butter and sugar together using an electric hand mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you beat two rounds after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice, and beat for two rounds.
- Mix baking powder, salt and corn flour to Self raising flour and sieve onto the cake batter, holding the sieve well above it, allowing the air to escape.
- Do not use the electric mixer at this point. Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything turns into a creamy batter.
- Add milk and fold well.
- Fill the paper cupcake cases 3/4th with the batter, leaving space for cakes to rise.
- Place the filled up cases in the cupcake tray.
- Lift the tray and drop gently on the pantry top twice, to level the cake batter’
- Pop the tray in to the oven.
- Bake for 20 min or until the cakes are golden in colour (Never open the oven door in the inital 10 mins)
- Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes clean, your cake is ready. Or press in the middle and it should spring back.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Slowly remove the cupcakes from the tray and place them on a cooling rack.
- Let the cakes cool off completely.
- Your beautiful cupcakes are ready to devour or ice with any frosting now.