Make these crisp, golden-brown hash browns for your supper tonight !!
Serve them on a heap of green salad, plain couscous or noodles as a side dish to make it a perfectly healthy and satisfying meal. You can add a sausage or two into the platter, which goes well with the flavours of hash browns.
Bon appetit !!
What you need:
|Potatoes (preferably waxy)||3|
|Salt to taste|
|Pepper powder||1 tsp|
|Plain flour||4 tbsp|
|Olive oil to shallow fry|
Let’s make it:
- Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes and chop the onion very thinly.
- Place the grated potatoes and onion in the middle of a tea towel and squeeze dry. This will let all the excess liquids drain out.
- Place the potatoes, egg, salt, pepper and plain flour in a bowl and mix thoroughly using your hands. You can add a thinly chopped green chili for a spicier taste
- Adjust the taste at this point
- Place a boll of the mixture on your palm and make a thick, round pattie.
- Dust both sides with plain flour.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on a non-stick pan and gently place the pattie on it.
- Continue making a few more patties and place them on the pan. Add more oil if necessary.
- Shallow fry on medium – high flame both sides until golden.
- Place on a wire rack to cool off slightly.
- Serve immediately with ketchup or sweet chili sauce.
Tip: avoid eggs to make it a vegetarian version