Delicious with every mouthful, this one – pot rice dish is a feast to the palate!! Great choice for someone looking for a healthy version of rice as the main ingredient of this dish is Pilchard fish, packed with Omega 3 oils. Also, a filling dish for hungry kids that could be made in less than 30 mins.
Get ready with these items: (Enough for 4 servings)
|Pacific Pilchard||1 small tin 155 g|
|Rice||1 and 1/2 cups|
|Ginger and garlic grated||1 tbsp|
|Coriander leaves and stems||1 cup|
|Soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|New / Baby Potatoes||6 cut into chunkes|
|Cumin seeds and mustard seeds||1 tsp each|
|Salt||1/2 tsp or to taste|
Let’s Make it:
- First wash the rice until water runs clear. Drain water in a colander and keep aside.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, grate ginger and garlic and cut potatoes. Open the tin of pilchards and drain into a cup. Chop coriander leaves and stems. Keep everything aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a wide pan. Sprinkle cumin seeds and mustard seeds let them splatter.
- Add the sliced onion and lightly brown it.
- Add salt.
- Add grated ginger & garlic and the stems of coriander. The stems will give a distinct aroma and flavour to the dish.
- Add the tomato, fry until soft and add tomato ketchup, continue frying.
- Drain the tomato sauce in the pilchard tin and keep the fish pieces aside.
- Fry everything until a thick , juicy sauce is formed.
- Add potatoes. Keep frying.
- Drain water from the rice and add to pot. Fry the rice for a min or two.
- Next, pour warm water just above rice.
- Give a good stir to bring everything together , cover and cook on very light flame. Cooking time usually takes 10 – 15 mins.
- Halfway, open the lid, drop the fish pieces, another handful of coriander leaves and 2 – 3 tbsp of soy sauce and lightly stir being careful not to break the fish pieces.
- Check the taste at this point. If you feel the rice is not cooked enough and there is no more water left, sprinkle hot water to the sides, cover tightly and lower the flame for allowing it to cook a bit further.
- Finally, garnish with chopped coriander . Cover and keep the flavours to settle for about 10 mins.
- You can serve this dish on its own or with Chinese chili paste on side.
- Yummy !!!