This is my mum’s signature dish in which she never forgot to pour lots of love while making it. Naturally, our mouths started watering at the thought of this and wished that mum would make it on special occasions or on Sundays as a special treat for the family or friends who stopped by.
Not so oily like many typical biryani dishes, this has no complicated cooking methods. Nevertheless, this is a very satisfying dish , served with Mint chutney as an accompaniment or with chicken gravy.
Ingredients : for 4 very hungry people :
|Chicken||1 whole cut into medium size pieces|
|Basmati Rice||2 cups|
|Plain Yoghurt||4 heaps of tbsp|
|Knor Chicken soup cube||1|
|Roasted curry powder||2 tbsp|
|Onion and green chili||1 each|
|Ginger and garlic||2 tbsp grated|
|Cloves, pepper and cardamoms, cinnamon||4 each|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander leaves/Mint leaves (chopped)||A handful for garnishing|
How to make:
- Massage the chicken pieces thoroughly with yogurt, roasted curry powder (Pls see the post under Tips), turmeric, grated ginger and garlic, salt, turmeric powder, cloves, pepper corns, green chili and the crushed soup cube. Cover with a cling film and refrigerate for about 4 hrs. If kept overnight in the fridge, the meat will absorb the taste and flavours of spices better. Take out from the fridge 30 min prior to cooking.
- Wash the rice until water runs clear, drain and keep aside for 20 mins. This will allow the rice to stretch and not stick together while cooking.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a wide brim pan. Add the whole spices and let them crackle.
- Add grated ginger and garlic or just the paste of it.
- Add the onion slices and slightly brown them. Drop the green chili with a handful of curry leaves.
- Now add the rice and quickly stir through , not letting it to stick to the bottom of the pan. Fry the rice for about 2 mins.
- Now add the chicken with all it’s marinade.
- Chop the stems of the coriander leaves and add. Stems has great flavours and aroma too.
- Mix rice and chicken thoroughly while turning them constantly for 2 – 3 mins.
- Add warm water, just above the level of rice.
- First cover the pan with a foil and then then tight close the lid.
- Cook under very low fire for about 20 mins or the top rice grains come soft.
- Finally garnish generously with coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with sliced red onions and chicken curry gravy.