This heart warming, moist and crunchy on the top Classic Lemon Drizzle cake is a real winner!
Experience the joy of pouring lemon syrup on the cake and watch how it dances a little while on the top and slowly sink beneath the spongy layers. But the best part is drizzling the lemony icing on the top, making pretty waves. If you fancy a bit more tangy flavour, do not hesitate to add an extra spoon full of lemon juice instead of 2.
Do not wait any longer to try this out as the whole process takes less than one hour.
Let’s start now.
You will need the following ingredients:
|Self raising flour||175 g|
|sugar – white||175 g|
|Butter / spread||175 g|
|Eggs – large||2|
|Lemon juice||2 tbsp|
|Lemon zest||1/2 tbsp|
|Baking powder||1/2 tsp|
Let’s make :
- Set the oven to 160 C.
Oven temp conversion :
- Cream butter and sugar using an electric mixer
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each adding
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder together and swift onto the batter using a sieve
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and milk
- Mix all with a wooden spoon until everything combines into a smooth batter
- Line up a loaf tray and pour the batter in
- Bake for 30 mins or until a skiver comes out clean
- Take the cake out of the oven and leave to rest for 5 mins in the tray
- Stab all over the cake with a skiver
- Take out and place on a wire rack
- Mix 3 tbsp of lemon juice with 3 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Heat up only until the syrup gets warm. (do not boil)
- Pour over the cake while the cake is still warm.
- Leave to cool.
- Simply mix 4 tbsp of icing sugar with 3 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Now pour over the cake.
- Let it drizzle from sides.
- Your cake is ready to serve.