This is a very flavourful fish curry, which could be made with very little time and effort. You can use popular tropical fish, such as Tuna, Thalapath (Sail fish), King fish, Thilapia or Travellies for this dish. It is necessary to sprinkle some salt and lemon juice on fish pieces and leave them for about 20 mins and then wash off in order to remove the fish smell, which some find a bit unpleasant.
First make the spices (These quantities are sufficient for 200g of fish):
|Fish fillets cut into bite size pieces||200 g|
|Red chili powder||2 tsp|
|Goraka (Gamboge/Garcinia)||4 small pieces|
|Roasted curry powder||2 tsp|
Let’s cook the fish now:
- Dry roast curry leaves, garlic cloves, goraka, roasted curry powder and chili powder on a flat pan until they turn darkest brown. Keep aside
- Next, slice the onion thinly and brown it in 1 tbsp of olive oil / vegetable oil in a different pan. The ideal is an earthen pot to enhance the flavours and the texture.
- Now add all the dry roasted spices along with garlic cloves into the oil and stir fry for a few mins
- Add the fish pieces along with half a teaspoon of salt and mix thoroughly
- Stir fry for about 3 mins under medium heat
- Add warm water a little above the fish pieces, cover and cook under slow fire about 15 mins or until properly cooked. Do not add any raw spices or raw curry leaves into the pot as it might give a different flavour from the expected smokey flavour
- Cover and keep for 1/2 hr for flavours to settle
- This tastes best next day!!!!