These spicy triangles, filled with fish and potatoes are a typical Sri Lankan street food.
You can make the filling on the previous day and store in the fridge to make the process a bit easier and less time consuming.
This easy recipe will give you the privilege of making these delicious fish rotis at home.
If your taste buds prefer a vegetarian version of the same, try this delicious vegetable rotis by clicking the link below :
So, let’s make them,
1st Step : Make the dough
Ingredients for the dough :
|Plain Flour||2 Cups|
|Olive Oil||2 tbsp|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
- Mix everything together and kneed adding water little by little until it doesn’t stick onto your fingers.
- Kneed for 5 – 8 mins more while dipping fingers with oil until the dough is soft and rubbery.
- Now, break equal pieces from the dough and roll them into balls as the size of a medium egg.
- Dip each ball in oil and arrange them on a tray, allowing space between for them to rise.
- Close with a cling film and let to rest for 1 hr.
2nd Step : Make the filling :
Prepare the fish:
- You can use tinned mackerel in brine or tuna in brine for an easier choice.
- If you prefer fresh tuna, King fish, Marlin or Thalapath fish for this filling, place fish pieces in a pan and fill water just above and add pepper powder, salt, a dash of turmeric , a bit of curry powder and a clove of gamboge. Cook the fish until soft and all the water runs out and keep aside.
For the filling you will need :
|Fish (tinned tuna or mackerel in brine)||1/4 cup|
|Ground black pepper||1 tsp|
|Garlic chopped||3 cloves|
|Green chili chopped||1|
|Onion or shallots chopped||1 large|
|Boiled potatoes||1/2 cup|
|Carrots – cut into thin strips||1/2 cup|
|Spring onions chopped or leek cut thinly||1/4 cup|
|White Cabbage – shreded thinly||1/2 cup|
|Turmeric powder/Mild curry powder/Chili powder||1/2 tsp each|
|2 Crushed cardamoms and a cinnamon stick|
|Lemon juice||a few drops|
|Oilve oil or any other oil||1 tbsp|
- Heat up oil in a wok, add cardomoms and the cinnamon stick
- Add chopped garlic and curry leaves.
- Add a handful of thinly chopped red shallots or onion and brown them.
- Add chopped green chili
- Add a shredded carrots and cabbage. Stir fry until the veggies are just wilted. Do not over cook.
- Roughly crush the boiled potatoes and toss them next.
- Add chili powder, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Mix all together and lastly add fish.
- Stir fry a bit more and adjust the taste at this point.
- Finally, squeeze lemon juice on top and mix all together.
- Filling is ready now. Cover and keep aside.
Let’s go to the final step now:
- Lift up the cling film and take a ball of dough and flatten it to a round shaped disk on an oiled plate. (Oil your fingers well while doing this)
- Place a heap from the filling in the middle.
- Fold into a triangle.
- First bring the right edge to the middle.
- Then the left side and the bottom, all the way to the middle.
- Next. the top must come to the middle too.
- Finally, it should look like a perfect triangle like this; ( make the sides widen and shape it up with oiled fingers )
- Place the triangle roti on a well oiled and heated up non-stick pan and bake turning frequently until all the sides are baked well.
- A wooden spoon placed across the pan is a brilliant way to support the rotis when you turn on to their sides.
- Once all the rotis are baked properly, let the steam escape by placing them on a wire rack.
- Let them cool off until you can touch them.
- Serve with ketchup on side.