Thanks to my friend Chand’s insistence and guidance, I never forget to make this pretty, aromatic delicious Nepali pickle at the start of spring every year – a seasonal delight, indeed. Unlike any other pickles, this has no vinegar or a great volume of unhealthy oils. The mustard oil makes it one of the most delightfully-healthier version of pickles that I have ever tasted.
You need only a few ingredients to make it :
|Ripped juicy cherry tomatoes||8|
|Peeled garlic cloves||5|
|Green chilies slit in the middle||4|
|Chili powder||1/2 tsp|
|Mustard powder||1/2 tsp|
Let’s make it:
- First prepare the glass jar by washing it thoroughly and wiping until dry. Hold a little above from the stove flame to dry completely.
- Prick the tomatoes all around with the help of a toothpick and drop them into a wide bowl.
- Drop garlic cloves and green chillies.
- Add rest of the spices and mustard oil.
- Combine everything with a spoon, gently tossing and turning.
- Check the taste at this point and add a pinch or more of chili powder or salt, if you prefer a spicier version.
- Fill the glass jar and give a gentle shake. Close tight.
- This will sit prettily on your kitchen window sill, bathing in the warm glow of Spring sunshine and will be ready to devour in 3 days time.
- Yummy !!