Crunchy stuffed chilies, deep fried to perfection of golden colour and filled with juicy onion stir-fried, form a perfect gastronomical delight for chili lovers. These crispy chilies could be served on the side of any main meal or served on its own with a pool of ketch-up or chili sauce as a snack. Yummy!!!
First make the stuffing:
- Slice two medium onions and fry in little olive oil until golden.
- Add salt, a pinch of turmeric, 1/4 tsp of curry powder, 1/4 tsp of chili powder and a few crushed curry leaves. Mix and stir fry a few mins.
- Add a few roughly mashed boiled potatoes.
- Mix all , check the taste and keep aside. Add more chili powder and salt if needed.
- Next, place the green banana chilies in a bowl and fill it with hot water. Cover and keep for 5 mins until the chilies get wilted.
- Shake all the water off and remove the seeds inside. Then slit each chili carefully on top to open a cavity.
- Fill the onion and potato stuffing in the cavity and spread it across the chili and lightly press together.
- Make batter by mixing 1/2 cup of plain flour and water. Whisk with a fork to make it without lumps. Add a beaten egg white and whisk until you have a thick batter. Mix 2-3 pinches of salt and a pinch of turmeric to flavour the batter.
- Now with a help of a tong, dip the stuffed chili into the batter and take out gently and roll on Golden breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil. Do not try to turn the frying chilies in the first few minutes as the batter might slip out. Gently turn and fry all sides.
- Fry all the chilies in batches.
- Serve hot.