What you need :
|Whole chicken/thighs/ drumsticks||300 g|
|Roasted curry powder||2 tbsp|
|Ginger and garlic grated||2 tbsp|
|Chili powder||2 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Maggi coconut milk powder/fresh coconut milk||2 tbsp|
|Cinnamon stick 2/3 cardamoms, 2 cloves|
|Salt and pepper||to taste|
Let’s make it:
- If you are using a whole chicken or thighs, cut them into medium-sized pieces.
- Massage the chicken pieces with grated ginger, grated garlic, chili powder, roasted curry powder, vinegar, salt, pepper powder and turmeric powder. Drop the cinnamon stick , curry leaves, cardamoms and cloves and mix all together. Leave at least 1/2 hr, allowing the chicken pieces to soak up the flavours of spices. For a more juicier version, keep overnight in the fridge.
- Heat up oil in a pan.
- Drop chopped onion and saute. Add ginger and garlic grated along with whole spices and curry leaves. Saute until they become slightly brown.
- Now add marinated chicken.
- Fry on medium flame about 5 – 7 mins or until the chicken pieces become soft and lightly cooked.
- Now close the lid, lower the flame to minimum and keep for about 5 mins. This will allow all the juices to run out.
- Open the lid , scrape all the juices and mix everything thoroughly.
- Pour enough warm water just above the level of chicken.
- Cover and cook under low flame for 10 mins or until the chicken pieces are cooked properly.
- Drop coconut milk powder to the side of the pan and mix with little gravy. Then, gently shake the pan for coconut milk and gravy to come together.
- Cover and cook under low flame for another 2-3 mins.
- Drop an extra few curry leaves, broken into small pieces and let the curry rest for 10 mins.
- Enjoy your silky, creamy coconut flavoured chicken curry with rice, bread or noodles.