These home made cupcakes are a real feast to the eyes and to taste buds alike. Kids love the colours and the spongy taste beneath the icing topping. Great for parties!
You will need:
|Self raising flour||250 g|
|Butter or Stork spread||250 g|
|Vanilla essence||1 tsp|
|lemon juice||1 tsp|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Paper cupcake cases and a muffin tray|
Let’s make them.
- Set the oven at 180 C/ 350 F / Gas mark 4.
- Beat sugar and butter together with an electric hand mixer until it gets creamy.
- Beat eggs – one at a time. Add vanilla and lemon juice.
- Add salt. This is a must as salt blends all flavours and gives a balanced taste.
- Mix flour and baking powder together and sieve into the mixture. Gently fold flour with a wooden spoon; finally add milk and vanilla and fold everything together.
- Now the batter is ready. Fill batter into cupcake cases, just below the brim and arrange them in a muffin tray. This will allow the cupcake cases to stand steady without wobbling down.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 mins; To check, press down the middle with a finger to see whether the it springs back. Do not open the oven door in the first 10 mins or else cakes will flop from the middle.
- Let the cupcakes rest for 5 mins and arrange them on a wire rack to let them cool completely.
Make the vanilla icing topping now. You will need,
- Icing sugar- 300 g
- Butter- 150 g
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- vanilla- 1 tsp
- Milk- 1tbsp
Sieve icing sugar in to a bowl and add Stork spread. Beat until it becomes smooth with an electric hand mixer. Then, add some lemon juice. You can divide the icing into separate bowls and add separate colours. Top the cupcakes with coloured icing and spread on thickly with a palette knife or pipe on a large swirl using a piping bag . Decorate with silver balls, or sprinkles. See the beauty that stems from it!