This dish is very juicy, colourful and delicious with lots of veggies . Hence, it’s a perfect healthy combination for a meat and veggie dish, which goes well with savoury rice (see under vegetarian category for the recipe) or noodles. You can warm up some tortilla wraps on a pan and fill them up with it and roll up to fix a perfect picnic , office or school lunch.
What you need:
|Chicken thighs or legs (skinless, bite size pieces)||300 g|
|Red, Yellow and Green bell pepper||1/2 each|
|Red cheery tomatoes||a handful|
|Ginger and garlic thinly sliced||1 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|Fish sauce (a must to get the authentic Chinese flavours)||2 tbsp|
|Chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder||1 tsp each|
|Salt, lemon and red powder food colour|
Let’s make it:
- Marinate the chicken with chili powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red powder food colour, lemon juice and salt.
- Cover and keep aside for 20 mins.
- Heat up oil and shallow fry the chicken until golden on medium heat. Once cooked, cover and lower the fire to the minimum and keep for 5-10 mins for juices to run out . Open the lid, scrape the juices off and mix thoroughly until all the pieces are well coated. Fry further 2/3 mins.
- Check salt add more if needed and keep the pan aside.
Cut and place all the veggies separately on a plate.
- Cut bell peppers, onion and carrot into squares.
- Slice the white part of leeks lengthwise and the green part in rounds.
- Slice ginger and garlic thinly.
- In a separate, wide wok add two tbsps of olive oil and heat up.
- Brown ginger and garlic.
- Add carrots and stir fry until soft.
- Now add leek whites, followed by bell peppers and continue to stir fry.
- Add onions.
- Lastly, toss the green parts of leek. Mix all together until done.
- Now push the vegetables to a side of the wok.
Make the sauce : Add salt, tomato sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and Chinese chili paste in a small bowl and whisk them together)
- Pour this sauce to the spared space of the wok, stir quickly until bubbly.
- Bring sauces and vegetables together.
- Add the chicken pieces with all it’s juices.
- Stir fry on high flame a min or two.
- Finally toss a handful of halved red cherry tomatoes on the top and sprinkle some Chinese chili paste .
- Serve hot.