Cannelloni means “large tubes” in Italian and is actually the familiar pasta made to look like tubes, which is more or less similar to lasagna in the preparation process. Yet, the appearance of this dish and the digging into the juicy meaty filling which is oozing out of the tubes is a memorable delight.
You can fill these tubes in with any of your favourite vegetarian or non-veg stuffing and bake with lots of cheese tossed on the top. In this recipe, I stuffed the tubes with a mixture of lean ground beef and a large assortment of vegetables to make it more healthier.
Make this absolutely mouthwatering dish to make your gloomy winter months much cosier and a bit warmer.
What you need:
|Ground lean beef||500g|
|Napolina Cannelloni tubes||1 & 1/2 pkt|
|Dolmino lasagna white sauce
or 3 tbsp of mayo and 1/4 of milk in place of this
|Ketchup||4 tbsp or more|
|Soy sauce (dark)||1 tbsp|
|Carrots||4 large sliced thinly|
|Bell peppers (large) – yellow, red, green||1 each or more|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|Garlic (chopped)||2 cloves|
|Onion||2 large chopped|
|Cheddar cheese and Mozzarella cheese ( grated)||1/2 cup full|
Let’s make it:
- Boil the cannelloni tubes according to the instructions of the pack. Drain the water and separate the tubes carefully and set aside.
- Cut the veggies and place around a plate.
- In a large wok heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil and sweat the chopped onions. Add chopped garlic
- Add the carrots circles, stir fry. Close the lid for a while so the carrots will be sofften fast
- Add the bell peppers
- Saute the all veggies
- Sprinkle salt and pepper
- Push the veggies to a side and add the ground beef
- Dry fry the beef, breaking up the lumps with a wooden spoon until browned. This process will take about 10 mins. Sprinkle some olive oil if the beef is too dry
- Bring beef and veggies together .
- Fry for 2 mins
- Add Loyd Grossman tomato and chili sauce and give a thorough stir
- Add Dolmio white sauce, soy sauce and ketchup
- Fry for 5 mins
- Toss spinach on top and let them wilt. Do not cover the pot after adding spinach
- Assemble all together and adjust the taste
- Toss a hand full of grated Cheddar cheese
- Let the pot bubble for a few mins and turn off the flame.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C.
- Opt for a wide Pyrex dish or a baking dish and pour a little milk onto the bottom.
- Hold the cannelloni tubes gently in one hand and fill the beef mixture and arrange on the baking dish side by side.
- Once the dish is full, top it with lots of grated Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the dish with a foil and leave one edge slightly open for steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 – 40 mins in the middle of the oven (lift the foil and check after 30 mins)
- Take out from the oven and let the dish rest for 5 mins.
- Bon appetit !!
- You can add any lasagna white sauce brand or replace it with milk and mayo mixed together
- Always use a wide Pyrex or a ceramic baking dish, not a baking tray used for cakes as the bottom of the tubes can burn
- Be liberal on spinach and vegetables to make it more healthier
- A few drops of oil and salt while boiling the cannelloni tubes can prevent them from sticking. And do not crowd the pan too much with tubes as they could stick to each other and tear off easily.
- If the the mixture is too runny, add more spinach and carrots
- Do not cover the pan after adding spinach
Click on THE