We all know that in everything we do, the first few steps matter a lot. If our first step goes exactly as planned, it will boost our confidence, which in turn catapult us to be a bit more adventurous.
This wonderfully-buttery cake with outer golden crust, is the first cake that every aspiring cake-maker must get right, as it gives a clear insight into all the baking techniques.
Master the art of making this simple but heavenly sponge cake and you will be baking most glorious varieties of cakes in no time!
All the tips and techniques are given, wrapped with love, in this recipe so nothing can go wrong.
Happy baking !
You will need the following items:
|Self Raising flour||250 g|
|Margerine or Butter under room tempreture||250 g|
|Caster sugar||250 g|
|Eggs under room temp||4|
|Lemon juice and Vanilla essence||1 tsp each|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
Let’s make it: Set the oven to 180 C .
Oven temperature conversion:
- Cream butter and sugar together until creamy, using an electric hand mixer. Go clockwise. (Time : 5 mins)
- Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you beat after each addition. (Time : Beat 15 seconds after each egg)
- Add vanilla essence, lemon juice, salt and finally, cream all together (Time : 1 min)
- Mix baking powder to flour and sieve onto the cake batter, holding the sieve well above it, allowing the air to escape.
- Fold the flour gently with a wooden spoon until everything turns into a creamy batter. Do not use the electric mixer at this point.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Line up a baking tray with parchment paper and spoon the batter into the baking tray and flatten with a spatula.
- Lift up the tray and drop it twice onto your kitchen-top gently, allowing the batter to spread and settle evenly on the try.
- Pop it in the oven.
- Bake for 20 mins or the top turns golden yellow (Never open the oven door in the first 10 mins)
- After 20 mins, insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes clean, your cake is ready.
- Take it out from the oven and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Slowly remove from the tray and place it on a cooling rack.
- Dip a knife in hot water, wipe clean and cut the cake into dainty squares
- Enjoy the lovely spongy texture wrapped with the buttery sweetness
Other easy delicious cakes :
Chocolate cake with butter icing