Delicious with every mouthful, this one-pot rice dish is a feast to the palate!!
Great choice for someone looking for a healthy version of rice for lunch. Also, the aroma and the flavours of pilchard fish, tomatoes, potatoes and sauces will deliver a very satisfying meal indeed!
Make sure you buy Pacific pilchard in tomato sauce for this recipe as it is the ideal choice to produce the best results.
Get ready with these items:
|Pacific Pilchard in rich tomato sauce||1 small tin 155 g|
|Rice (White basmati)||1 & 1/2 cups|
|Ginger and garlic grated||1 tbsp|
|Coriander leaves and stems||1 cup|
|Fish sauce||1 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|New / Baby Potatoes||6 cut into chunkes|
|Cumin seeds and mustard seeds||1 tsp each|
|Salt||1/2 tsp or to taste|
Let’s Make it:
- First wash the rice until water runs clear. Drain water in a colander and keep aside.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, grate ginger and garlic and cut potatoes. Open the tin of pilchards and drain the sauce into a cup. Leave aside the tomato sauce and fish pieces seperately. Chop coriander leaves and stems. Keep everything aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a wide pan. Sprinkle cumin seeds and mustard seeds, let them splutter.
- Add the sliced onion and lightly brown it.
- Add the following ingredients and fry after each one
Salt, ginger-garlic paste, coriander leaves and stems, chopped tomato, tomato ketchup, tomato sauce from the tin, soy sauce and fish sauce
- Fry everything until a thick and juicy sauce is formed.
- Add potatoes. Keep frying.
- Drain water from the rice and add to pot. Fry the rice for a min or two.
- Next, pour warm water just above rice.
- Give a good stir to bring everything together , cover and cook on very light flame. Cooking time usually takes 10 – 15 mins.
- After 10 mins, open the lid, drop the fish pieces
- Adjust the taste
- If the rice is not cooked enough and there is no more water left, sprinkle hot water to the sides, cover tightly and lower the flame for allowing it to cook a bit further
- Finally, garnish with chopped coriander . Cover and keep the flavours to settle for about 10 mins
- You can serve this dish on its own or with Chinese chili paste or any pickle on the side
- Yummy !!!